Tuesday, October 15, 2013

First Day... París!

So, after 11+ hours travel time, Kels and I found eachother at the Paris CDG Airport. We quickly shared some short stories about the plane ride and how no one spoke English...but the few phrases thatvwe had been running over and over through our heads, completely excaped us when we most needed them.
We made our way to the transportation station of the airport, and about an hour of trying to make sense of the metro system in Paris and the directions in general, we EACH bought a 9,30€ ticket and then stepped onto the metro.
Another 2+ hours later (after having navigated through subterranean Paris), we came up out of the metro station and finally got our real first view if París in all it's splendor!  We pulled out our map (eventhough we'd been told that that was a sure way to stick out as a tourist AKA easy pickpocket target), to find our way to the hostel/airbnb we had booked for 2 nights...
Our hostess is very kind, and eventhough we can't understand the majority of what she says, we can tell she means well (and I hope that's not just us being naive). She showed us our roomsvand then gave us a long, detailed, and (later found) very helpful advice on cheapyet important sightseeing spots and best ways to get there.
So we dropped our big bags and hit the cobblestone streets again (17:30ish). We bought a take out dinner to share, 2,50€, and a bottle of French wine, 2,90€, and then navigated the metro system toward the Eifel Tower and many other famous monuments and streets!
We ate, and drank, and laughed... it was the best ''first night in Europe" we could have asked for!
we have already gotten into the habit of holding our bags infront and close, and to try to speak French, no matter how broken. We'll be waking up in a few hours to kickstart another great day of exploration!
I'll write again soon!
~Iolani

p.s. I hope you enjoy the photos!!

2 comments:

  1. If you keep writing,says Grandfather, we can enjoy the trip with you ! So,please, keep writing and enjoy every moment ! All the best and BON VOYAGE !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so proud ( and envious) of you two adventurers !
    I love you
    Mama fiona

    ReplyDelete