Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Denmark ♥

Upon my arrival in Ribe (the oldest town in Denmark), I was greeted with big hugs and smiles by my friend Mette and her father, Henrik. We drove a couple minutes through the narrow cobblestone streets to Mette's school (she was on her lunch break), where I went with her to her Spanish class and then physics class. It was great to see that side of Denmark.
After classes were over Mette took me around the town, pointing out all the interesting sites: her school- the oldest school in Denmark- Ribe Katedralskole, the oldest town hall in Denmark, the house of Maren Spliid (Splids)- the last witch to be burned in Denmark, the hill where a castle used to stand, the water-control hills and dam, the beautiful Ribe Cathedral in the center of town, the smallest house, etc. She taught me about water levels in the city, and how flooding was an issue certain years. And, on our way to her house (a few km outside of the city), she showed me the completely flat landscape where one can see over 30km into the distance, and can feel the intense winds that have traveled so far, without and interuption.
We arrived home and were engulfed by the delicious aromas of her mom, Merete's cooking. She made the typical Danish Christmas dinner: delicious pork roast, with gravy and potatoes, and of course the crispy fat from the roast! It was so yummy! Mette, Merete, and I ate together, which was so nice! Henrik missed out because he had to work the "afternoon" (night) shift, as a policeman in Esbjerg (the biggest, closest city). They told me about their lives here in Denmark and taught me a lot about the many systems in Demark, and how different it is from the US and the rest of Europe. It was really very interesting to learn all of this first hand!
The next couple of days consisted of me going to school with Mette for part of the day, and then more exploration! She took me up to the top of the bell tower of the cathedral where we were surrounded by beautiful views, and impressive winds. Then, we ate real, danish danishes...WOWWW!!
Mette took me to the Menesker pa Havet ("Men by the Ocean"-4 big, white statues) in Esbjerg. So cool! In the mornings after Mette had gone to school, and Merete to work, Henrik and I had some great discussions about travels, cars, politics, work, money, etc. I learned so much from him! I also attempted to help out as much as I could  0:-)  On my second night there, I cooked dinner for them (stuffed peppers, and carrot salad), which I think was appreciated, and then Mette and I made danish pancakes with some interesting fillings for another dinner! :D
I had initially told Mette and her family that I was only going to interrupt their lives and stay until Thursday or Friday, but they were generous enough to let me stay until Sunday!! The weekend was relaxed in the house, and being the only one who didn't have to work or study all week long, it was nice to just be lazy the whole time and it gave me time to be productive in my planning, but it was also a bit much... It made me re-realize how much I love being a nomad :)
On Saturday night, Mette's best friend Helena came over and we had some Saturday night fun! They introduced me to a few different kinds of Danish alcohol: GaJol (a licorice liquor), Tempt and Somersby (Danish hard ciders), Carlsburg Beer (Danish beer), and Cuba (a liquor). We played games at Mette's house and then walked to Helena's house and played more games, and then at 1, we took a cab into town. They showed me the 2 bars where "everyone" goes, and gave me a little taste of the Danish small town night life. After a few exciting events, we finally made it home!
This afternoon it was very hard to leave! This wonderful family had opened their house and hearts so wide to me, and I really felt at home. I hope that we can connect again soon, either somewhere in Europe (Denmark or Italy), or in the states, when they make it over there!
Mette, if you're reading this... thank you sooooo much for all your kindnesses! You all went out of your way to make me feel comfortable and happy, and it was all more than I could've ever asked for! I hope you find happiness there, and then as soon as it's possible, that you come try out the spontaneous and adventerous life of a curious traveler! I love you!
TUSIND TAK!
♥♡♥

1 comment:

  1. It was amazing to have you here - I'm sorry I didn't see this wonderful post till now! Thank you for being part of our family - I loved it and I know my parents did too! Please come back soon - Or we'll meet you in the States or somewhere in Europe hopefully. I miss you so much already! I love you! <3 - Det var så lidt (You are very welcome). Safe travels - Take care :-)

    ReplyDelete