Monday, May 19, 2014

Malaysia!

I flew from Bangkok to Malaysia on May 6th, with the plan to catch my flight to Banda Aceh the next morning. But, I then realized that I would have to get a visa extension once in Indonesia because I've already booked my flight out of Indonesia...so, I decided to stay in Malaysia for a bit longer and then go to Indonesia just in time for my Vipassana (May 21st).
I stayed in Kuala Lumpur for a few days, but was overwhelmed quickly and had to move on. I walked all around the strange and relatively flashy city, taking in the difference in culture (do to the large Muslim population). It was such a completely different feel in KL as anywhere else I had been in SE Asia.
Next, I traveled southward to a small town named Melaka (Malacca). That too was so strange! It was a quaint town, with a "China Town" (Jonker Street), and a "Little India", and a nice canal running throught the town. It was kept so clean and combed, and I can only assume that that was only for those tours and crowds of tourists (usually in funny matching shirts). But I had a good time there, eating lotsssss of ethnic Malaysian food, and met some cool people!
I then decided to go to the eastern side of Peninsular Malaysia, to Pulau Tioman (Tioman Island). I spent almost a week there, enjoying the quiet island, and then after a few days I decided to do the training and get my Open Water Diver License! I had held off from doing it for so long, but then just decided that I am coming closer and closer to the end of this journey, and I've been budgeting so well, so I may as well spend a bit more money and do it instead of regretting it forever. And I must say, it was such a great decisions! I had so much fun and diving is such an incredible thing!!
Yesterday I left the island and am currently in Mersing, Malaysia. I am quite sick (high fever, trouble breathing, cold sweats, etc.) so, I'm just trying my best to rest up and get better in time for the Vipassana!
I won't get another chance to write for a couple weeks now, but don't forget about me ;)
Spread the love!!
~Iolani

No comments:

Post a Comment