Thursday, March 20, 2014

Dalat - city in the mountains

Arriving in Dalat, I go a bit lost, but eventually found th boys! We booked 4 beds in a dorm, and then set out for lunch and exploration: Market :-) We found some incredible food places!
The next day we rented 2 motorbikes, I packed us a lunch, and we went to a waterfall right outside the city. It was a bit of a disappointment, especially because we had to pay for every little thing. But we had a nice picnic and some nice time together! In the evening we got some good street food for dinner and then went out all dressed in green for St. Patty's day! I as very surprised that no one was out celebrating as there were many westerners in Dalat.
Dalai is tucked in the mountains close to the border of Laos. My generous travel buds gave me some anti-malaria pills (doxycycline) which I don't usually like to take, but decided it would be better than the alternative. So, we should be okay if we remember to keep taking them for the next week (I think we'll be okay anyway...).
One day we went for a run around the lake in the middle of the city (9 Km). It was good for us because we all pushed each other no one wanting to lose face by stopping or slowing! It was a much needed workout and will hopefully become more of a routine.
Now, as for my travel buddies. They are 3 wonderful, kind, generous, smart gentlemen from south of London. They are 22 and 23 years old, nd left their jobs - at least temporarily - to travel for 8 months. They started in Northern Thailand and then came to Hanoi, where I met them in the dorm. When I first saw them, they came into the dorm room, introduced themselves and then started working out (they are quite aware of their physique). Daryl is the sweet jokester, Nick the initiator, and Adam the observer. I have had to learn how to take their English humor, and maybe throw it back, which is hard for me as it can often be a bit harsh and hurtful....  I love all three of them, and will be sad to leave when we have to part.
We left today, Thursday, March 20th, for Ho CHI Minh City (or "Saigon")! An 8 hrs bus ride, literally dripping with sweat because the AC was broken.


Posted via Blogaway

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the wonderful and thorough updates.
    You seem to be doing really well.
    Love you,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete