I arrived early on the 11th, found myself a hostel, and then met a really cool French guy as I entered my room. I spotted a pair of dirty feet around the corner, introduced myself to the bearded Frenchman, and we hit off the conversation right away about our barefoot travels! He showed me an amazingggg vegan restaurant (where I ended up eating dinner for the next 4 nights, including my birthday dinner!). It was full of sensational raw and cooked vegan foods. In the US could be overseen as another place for the conscious eaters, but here in Asia something like that is sooo rare. He told me of his extensive travels in the past and gave me some words of encouragement and reassurance that will help me more than any tips or advice ever could. He is one of those incredible people who one rarely has the privilege to run into, and I'm bummed he had to leave that same day. There was simply SO much we wanted to talk about, so many crazy similarities...!
That day I went to the market to explore (the market is my favorite part of every city), and while I wandered, admiring all around me, I literally ran into Adam, and then found myself hugging the three English boys (Adam, Joe, and Tom) from Hanoi - the ones who were on our flight from Bangkok and then that we share a private room with for a few nights! The last I had seen them, we were saying goodbye thinking we'd never see each other again... It's funny how small the world is when you throw yourself into it!
We spent that evening together, getting them all ridiculous, silk tailored jackets (a must-do), going to a shisha bar, and playing pool to welcome in the 20th year of my life! At the bar I also ran into (not so litterally) the other 3 English boys (Adam, Nick, and Daryl) - the ones I met in Hanoi, and then ran into in Hue. They were also a huge part in making the night so wonderful! :-)
On the morning of the 12th (my birthday) I woke up early to Skype with family! What a nice way to start a special day! Then I spent the day at the beach with Adam, Nick, and Daryl, and also Josephine (a stunning Danish girl who I met at the hostel). Later, Josephine and I went out for dinner at the vegan place :-) and then went back to that bar for the evening! We met up with 2 French guys who she had met before, and an Israeli girl, Yael, who we HD bet at the hostel! We enjoyed some cocktails, and then they got flaming birthday shots (which burned everyone's lips)! And then, just before midnight, the loud music went off and a "happy birthday" song came on the speakers, and someone carried out a mini cake to me! It was such a sweet gesture from Josephine and Yael! <3
The rest of the night was spent playing pool, and dancing bachata and salsa (with a Colombian who I just met). It was a good night!
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: that day, while on the beach, the three English boys expressed that they would love it if I traveled along with them for a bit - no commitment. They said my ways really inspired them, and since I had a similar plan for the next couple of weeks, it would be lovely to go together. I thought about it and then said that I'd see them in Nha Trang in a couple days and we'd go from there... (more to come about this in the Nha Trang post)
Hoi An is my favorite city in Vietnam so far! That probably has something to do with the wonderful company a had and the nice times we spent, but it also has such a welcoming and comfortable feel to it! I was sad to go when I did, but it was the right time to move on!
~Iolani
Posted via Blogaway
No comments:
Post a Comment