Friday, November 8, 2013

Second workaway 》Avéron-Bergelle, France

Upon arriving at the train station yesterday, we were greeted by two smiling faces and chatty mouths. Mareyand Neil are a sweet, older, English couple, who spend the warm months in southwestern France and the winters in England. We drove over an hour through many old towns and crossing the Camino de Santiago de Compostela, in their British car (driver in the right hand side), before we finall reached the small town of Avéron-Bergelle. It was after 22h and very dark,  so we didn't get to see the many vinyards and wineries we drove by. When we arrived at their house, they showed us in, showed us to our room, fed us some soup, and then sat down to watch the 'football' game they had recorded: England's Arsenal vs. Germany's Dortmund.
It is truly amazibg how opposite they are from our last hosts, Janita and Pete. I won't go into details about the specifics of the differences, because to insult either would be unfair and ungrateful of me.
These two are very into alcohol of all kinds, especially the locals, who like TV, who eat a lot of meat, love their electronics, and most of all they looove to talk. Complete opposites......
I'm quite grateful for the differences, especially those of the lifestyles, because I am now learning so much more than if we were to stay in one place.
Today's work included a lot of cleaning and packing up, as they are preparing to travel back to the UK for the winter. I can already tell that it's going to be a patience tester for both of us at times, which is good in the long run! They're bso completely different from our last place, and are veryyyyy self centered and "posh".
Iolani

2 comments:

  1. I glad you guys made it safely!
    Happy working.
    How long will you be there?
    Be safe and work away!!!
    Love,
    P

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a change for you - different lifestyles and culture, all in the same country and again you don't even have to speak the language ( though English can be quite different from American )
    In any case I wish you a good time and make the best of it.
    Life is all about learning - and traveling teaches you about life ! Enjoy !

    ReplyDelete