We arrived in Toulouse around lunch time, 10 minutes after our hostel's reception closed for their 2 hour lunch break. It was cold and rainyband we were hungry and in need of a bathroom. We found a kebab café where we ate and put down our huge bags for a while. We got the cheapest options and split...it added up to about 8€ in total. That sounds cheap, but for a couple of girls traveling on a tight budget for a year, it's hard to part with that kind of money. On our way back to the hostel we stopped at a supermarket and stocked up for dinner and breakfast (and chocolate (: ), all of which added up to a mere 5€!
I booked 2 of the cheapest beds in the hostel for two nights (17€/night/person).
When we went into our 8 bed room, we were greeted by two Australians, Alex and Hudson, traveling, just like us. They told us they had been traveling around Europe for 2 months, and are going into Spain andvthen Moroco before heading home for Christmas. It was so great to finally meet other people doing a similar thing, with similar interests, experiences, etc.- plus they were two cute Ausies :) ! A little later on, a Canadian girl, Leah, came in as well. We all talked for a while, sharing stories about our travels, advice and suggestions! We all ate dinner, and then Kels, Hudson, Alex, and I walked a few blocks to the big supermarket eich was well stocked with cheap alcohol. Kels and I got a bottle of Rosé (2€12), and a bottle of French wine (2€39).
At about 20h30 the 5 of us sat down around the small table in our room with 5 bottles of wine/rosé/champagne, and a deck of cards! Im not going to describe any more details about all that, but I can assure you that eveything we did was legal. We hung out, talked, played cards, played piano (Alex is an amazingggg pianist), went out walking, lost Kelsey :O , and just had a great time! We were later joined by a few more travelers: Phil (Australian), Sonya (German), an Irish guy, and a Swiss girl. It was just great!
Tuesday morning, I got up at 8h and went for a run in the cold and rain. I would have stayed out for much longer had it not been for my bad hip. I got back, showered, ate breakfast, went shopping, and then finally at 12h they started to wake up, hungover and lazy. Kels and I went to the train station across the city to change our train reservation, and would've kept exploring the city had it not been for the shitty weather, my bad hip, and our exhaustion. So, we spent the rest of the day planning future parts of our trip, and hanging out with our new friends! The night before, Alex and I stayed up a while longer together...so we were really getting to know eachother.
Tuesday night started out similarly: the boys, Kels, and I went iut together to get dinner, and to stock up. The same group from the last night gathered in the hostel's common room and started playing 21 (the cards were ruined in all the prior night's excitement, so we had to think up something different). At about 23h we (Hudson, Sonya, Leah, Kels, Alex, and I) left the hostel in search of a playground which ended up being closed. We then walked a ways to an area of the city we had heard had bars and clubs. We spent the next few hours bar hopping. Some in our group continued drinking, while others (the ones who are ued to taking care of others) didn't. We met some pretty funny french people! We got back to hostel at 2h30ish, where we went to bed on our last night together in Toulouse.
In the morning, Alex and I woke up and started packing. The fact that we weren't going to see eachother, maybe even ever, was an unavoidable and sad one, but one that we knew was going to happen in time. Kels and I had to leave at 12h to catch our train. We shared hugs and kisses,"see you later"s --> "probably not"s, and "safe travels", and then left. I don't like goodbyes and I'm not much good at them, especially not when the person/people I'm saying bye to have found a spot in my heart.
We walked to the supermarket to stock up for Monaco, and then to the train station, all the while talking about how great our time had been and how we were lucky to have met those people!
Once at the train station, we activated our Eurail Passes and then ran to our train. It's bittersweet leaving each place: so many meaningful people and experiences left behind....but so many more ahead!
♡♥♡Iolani
Wednesday, November 20, 2013
Toulouse~friends♥
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Dear Iolani,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the update and reading all that is written between the line sounds like you had so much fun... ;)
Can't wait to hear or read about your next chapter!!!
Sooo much love,
Papa